1. When is the Maldives open for tourists?
● The Maldives opened its borders to all international tourists on 15th July. Tourists from any country can now travel to the Maldives.
2. Can anyone travel to the Maldives?
● Yes, there are no restrictions for inbound travellers at the moment. Travellers should also have a confirmed hotel booking with them. For your safety, ensure that you have enough masks and sanitizer for the duration of your trip.
● Guests travelling to the Maldives starting from the 10th of September must have a negative PCR Test result in English.
● If you are unwell or have a history of contact with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID19 within the past 14 days and/or persons who have a fever or respiratory symptoms such as cough, sore throat, shortness of breath within the past 14 days, you should not travel to the Maldives. Get in touch with us and we will assist you with amending your stay with us.
3. What can I do to protect myself while travelling? The Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends following these steps to protect yourself and others when you travel:
● Maintain a distance of 6 feet (2 meters) between you and others as much as possible.
● Avoid contact with anyone who is sick
● Limit contact with frequently touched surfaces, such as handrails, elevator buttons and kiosks. If you must touch these surfaces, use hand sanitizer or wash your hands afterwards.
● Wear a cloth face mask.
● Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
● Cover coughs and sneezes.
● Clean your hands often. It is especially important after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
● Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
● If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub your hands together until they feel dry.
(Source: CDC Website, 2020)
4. What will happen when my flight lands at the Airport?
● All guests travelling to and from the Maldives are required to submit a self-declarative health declaration. This traveller health declaration has to be filled and submitted via the online portal of Maldives Immigration, imuga.immigration.gov.mv. The health declaration must be filled and submitted within 24 hours prior to departure to the Maldives.
● When you arrive at Velana International Airport, you will be greeted by our Airport Representative and escorted to the speedboat.
● Guests will be asked to sanitize their hands and to wear a mask before they get in the speedboat. Guests will be given a designated seat to ensure physical distancing throughout the journey. Our team may practice any other necessary protocols as required by the Health Protection Agency of Maldives.
5. Do we get tested at the Resort?
● No, we will not be testing guests upon arrival nor at Summer Island Maldives. However, your body temperature will be checked, and random COVID-19 tests are done at Velana International Airport by Maldivian authorities. They may request you to do a test, which is free of charge, and if you don’t have any symptoms, you can continue your journey as usual.
● If you exhibit symptoms at the Airport or even at the Resort, you will be asked to do a PCR test at your expense.
● Depending on Airlines procedures, you may need to take a PCR Test before travelling back from the Maldives which will be at your expense.
6. What are the measures taken at the Resort to minimize COVID-19 transmission?
● We are following the guidelines issued by the World Health Organization and the Health Protection Authority of Maldives. All our team members are being trained by experts in the field according to the latest protocols.
● We will be practising social distancing; direct communication with guests will be minimized and instead done digitally.
● Our F&B operations have been changed to ensure that social distancing is practised and we are taking extra precautionary measures to ensure food hygiene. Guests will have preassigned restaurant tables and servers during their stay.
● Please find below links for our Health Protocols and Health Declaration Form:
Health Protocols: https://summerislandmaldives.com/en/health-protocols
Health Declaration Forms: https://summerislandmaldives.mv/health/
● Our team will be wearing appropriate PPE at all times
7. What should I do if I develop COVID-19 like symptoms while at the Resort?
● If you develop COVID-19 like symptoms during your stay with us, you must inform our team by calling the designated number provided upon your arrival.
● You must stay inside your room and our in-house Doctor will visit. Depending on the consultation, existing protocols will be followed to ensure that this is attended to as recommended by the Health Protection Agency of Maldives.
● If you undergo a PCR test, you must stay inside your room until you get the test results. If the result is negative, you will be allowed to leave your room.
8. Do you have in-house Doctor?
● Yes, we have an in-house doctor and a clinic on the property.
09. How much is a PCR test?
● We charge USD 125 per person for PCR Testing and it will be free of charge for any guests staying for a minimum of 10 days. It will take about 72 hours to get the results.
10. Where is the closest hospital located?
● The closest hospital is in the capital, Male’, and can be reached by speed boat within 45 minutes.
11. Are sanitizers and face masks readily available at the Resort?
● Yes, all guest rooms will have sanitizers, and guests will be given a face mask upon request.
● Sanitizers will be available at all public areas at the Resort, including restaurants, bars, fitness centre etc.
12. What is your cancellation policy, and can I change my booking?
● If you have booked through a second or third party, please check their cancellation policies. If you have a booking directly with us or by any online travel agency, the cancellation policy will be as follows:
● If travelling before 23.12.2020 guests can cancel their booking, without incurring any charges, 48 hours before check-in.
● If travelling between 24.12.2020 and 30.04.2021 guests can cancel their booking, without incurring any charges, 72 hours prior to check-in.
● If travelling between 01.05.2021 and 31.10.2021 guests can cancel their booking, without incurring any charges, 48 hours prior to check-in.
Please be informed that the cancellation policy might change without prior notice and will be updated to our website accordingly
13. Will the swimming pool be open?
● Yes, the pool is open, and there will be a limit to the number of guests using the pool at any given time.
14. Will the fitness centre be open?
● Yes, however, guests will need to book the gym in advance. The number of guests allowed to use the gym will be limited, and the gym will be disinfected after each use.
15. Will the Dive centre be open?
● Yes, the dive centre will be open with extra health and hygiene measures.
16. Are excursions and water sports activities available?
● Yes, we will have excursions available with a limited number of guests per day. Water sports activities will be available in the island as well.
17. Will the Spa be open?
● During the re-opening stage, our spa will be closed and will be operational from December 2020 onwards.
18. How often would my room be cleaned during my stay?
● Your room will be cleaned once a day, at a time that is the most convenient time you and turn down service will be provided upon request.
19. What can I do to protect myself and loved ones from COVID-19 during our stay?
● Follow all guidelines provided by the Resort, practice social distancing at all times and frequently wash your hands.
20. What is the protocol if I get positive to COVID-19 during my stay?
● If a guest is positive for COVID-19, the guests will be isolated at the Resort or taken to a government-run isolation facility depending on their health condition and the situation, which will be confirmed case by case.
Note: Please note that these procedures and health protocols might change anytime, hence we would recommend to carefully read below links for the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Tourism before travelling to the Maldives.